You might say we caught the green construction bug when we recently designed the Village Park Eco Home. But in reality, we simply saw the full value of sustainable healthy living and wanted the ability to offer all its options to our clients. So as designers, we recently completed the REGREEN Trained™ certificate program.
If a client wants to build, remodel or design with environmentally friendly products to improve air quality or simply wants to increase the efficiency of their home, we’re trained and up-to-date on the latest advancements in green construction. We’re also well-informed on how and where to source Eco-friendly materials and furnishings.
The REGREEN program was created through a partnership between the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) Foundation and the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). Launched in March 2008, the REGREEN Residential Remodeling Guidelines address everything from water and energy efficiency to indoor air quality and Eco-friendly products.
- Indoor levels of pollutants are often 2 to 5 times – and occasionally more than 100 times – higher than outdoor pollutant levels; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- The prevalence of asthma in the U.S. has increased by more than 75% since 1980; California Environmental Protection Agency.
- Children exposed to higher levels of particulate matter, nitrogen dioxide, acid vapor and elemental carbon had significantly lower lung function at age 18, an age when the lungs are nearly mature and lung function deficits are unlikely to be reversed; New England Journal of Medicine 2004.
- New research from the University of Rochester Medical Center suggests a link between air pollution early in life with Autism and Schizophrenia.
- Ozone and particle pollution are both linked to increased risk of lower birth weight in newborn; American Lung Association.
- Breathing in particle pollution can increase the risk of lung cancer; World Health Organization.
REGREEN principles include:
- Improved indoor air quality.
- The use of safe products and services, both to a building’s occupants and the environment.
- Sustainable use of natural resources.
- Waste reduction.
- Wise and efficient use of energy.
We’re excited to offer these options and this knowledge to our clients, no matter the size of a project. Whether simply selecting low or no VOC paints, sourcing a one-of-a-kind dining table made from reclaimed wood or constructing an entire home based on green construction principles, we’re ready!